Tuesday 26 May 2009

Two more for the collection

Bought a couple more DVDs while I was out on Sunday afternoon, "The Deadly Assassin" and "Black Orchid" (Fourth and Fifth Doctors respectively).

Like I said in a previous post, it's addictive...

I quite fancy getting the "Key To Time" boxed set, but it's kind of hard to come by, and those on-line retailers who do have it are selling it for huge amounts of money.

Still, it's fun reliving my childhood. Even if I don't remember a complete story, quite often I'll recognise a bit here and a bit there, and go "Ooh, I remember that."

For example, the Fifth Doctor story "Four To Doomsday" I have no recollection of at all, except for the bit where the Doctor (in space, in zero gravity) bowls a cricket ball onto the alien spaceship in order to use its return momentum to propel himself back to the TARDIS.

Hmm, "Return momentum" is that actually a phrase? Does it make sense?

Anyway, "Black Orchid" is of interest because it's the last time (to date) that there's been a purely historical Dr. Who story. I.E. one set in the past with no sc-fi elements. No evil aliens trying to take over the world/change history etc.

Kind of a shame really, sometime I'd like to see the Doctor face a purely human threat - and if the story is somewhat educational, historically speaking, then so much the better.
After all, the orignal purpose of Dr. Who was to teach kid about history, whilst telling a rattling good yarn at the same time.

In these days of the Credit Crunch, it makes sense to me that the BBC would want to save money. So, if a new historical drama series is comissioned - some piece of Jane Austen nonsense or something of that ilk (not to my personal tastes, but they sell well overseas - apparently) - then surely it would make sense to film a historical Dr. Who on the same sets?

Yes? No? Am I talking rubbish?

Probably...

No comments:

Post a Comment