Thursday 21 May 2009

The difficult first post...

Well then, here we are. First post in a new blog.

I suppose the first thing I should do is explain what I'm trying to do here.

I've been a Dr. Who fan all of my life. It's one of the first (if not the first) things I ever remember watching on the TV.

The story was "Planet of the Spiders", the last of Jon Pertwee's tenure as the Third Doctor.

Four episodes, broadcast on Saturday evenings between May 4th and June 8th 1974, and I would've been aged three, nearly four at the time.

I've a very vivid memory of sitting open mouthed as - in the closing moments of episode 4 - the Doctor staggered out of the TARDIS, fell to the ground, and changed...

That was it. I was hooked.

I've another very strong memory of being at the supermarket with my mum (I used to think it was the next day, but shops didn't generally open on a Sunday back in the 70s. Must've been the Monday) and telling the lady at the checkout all about this amazing thing that I'd seen on the telly...

That would also be the first time I got "the look". You know, the one non sci-fi fans give sci-fi fans when we prattle on about something in our favourite shows that was, y'know, just really really cool!
It's sort of equal parts disdain, pity, bewilderment and maybe just a touch of horror. Or as I sometimes like to put it - "Good heavens! A talking dog!"

So, anyway, I'll be posting thoughts, musings, the odd review of Dr. Who and related general sci-fi related stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment