Wednesday 26 August 2009

Crispy creatures!

*Blows dust off blog*

It's been a while since I last made a blog entry, hasn't it? My apologies, real life (in particular work) kept getting in the way.

Anyway, the collection of Classic Dr. Who DVDs continues to grow - I must be somewhere near the 40 mark now.

Among the recent purchases, was "Spearhead from Space". Notable for being the first story to be transmitted in colour, the first of Jon Pertwee's era as the Doctor, and the first to feature the Autons.

The Autons lead me nicely to my point.

In the latter part of the story, we have scenes of the Brigadier and the brave chaps from UNIT engaged in a battle with some nasty Autons. One hapless UNIT trooper utters the line "Bullets don't work sir!" as the plastic invaders advance towards the soldiers, weapons blazing.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but - Autons are made of plastic. Plastic melts when you set light to it.

Why didn't the Brig order up a couple of flamethrowers and barbecue the feckers?

Or better yet, call in an airstrike and drop some napalm on them?

I sometimes wonder if perhaps I've watched too many war movies...

No comments:

Post a Comment